If you are interested in majoring in computer science and would like to make sure that you receive the necessary support and structure needed to succeed in your college and be prepared for job opportunities after college, join the award winning CSin3 program, offered by Hartnell College and Cal State, Monterey Bay.
🎓 CSin3 students complete their BS in Computer Science ON TIME with a meaningful INTERNSHIP experience MORE OFTEN than students who don’t have similar support structure. 🎓
Since 2016, one hundred sixty-seven students have graduated.
graduates identify as underrepresented minorities
graduates are female
graduates are first generation college students
1. Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in high school
- Exceptions can be made for a GPA of 2.6-2.99
- Students with less than a 2.6, but who do meet the eligibility requirements for ENG 1A and MAT 3A, may be considered by submitting a one-page written explanation for the lower GPA and a plan for maintaining a higher GPA in the program
2. Place into MAT 27 (Pre-Calculus) or higher and ENG 1A for the first semester in the program/college
You can determine your placement using Hartnell’s Math & English Placement Web Tool
- Strong preference will be given to graduating seniors from Monterey County high schools
- Current community college students with less than 30 units completed will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Applicants who already have a bachelor’s degree or more than 30 college general education credits completed will not be considered (students must be able to follow the prescribed cohort course pathway required by the program)
- Prior knowledge of computer science (programming, coding, etc.) is not required
Follow all of the steps to apply and be admitted to Hartnell
- You do not have to apply for Fall 2024, any term is okay
- Select “Computer Science & Info Systems-Computer Science Option” as your major
- Select “obtain an associate degree and transfer to a 4-year institution” as your educational goal
Be sure to have these materials available to assist you in completing your application:
- AP test credits
- Hartnell student ID#
- Most recent unofficial transcripts
- High school transcripts required for all applicants
- Current college students should also provide their college transcripts (Students who have attended an institution other than Hartnell should arrange to have their official transcripts sent to Hartnell)
- A letter of recommendation
- Personal statement – In 1000 words or less, please answer one of the following writing prompts:
- Prompt 1: What is your interest in computer science and why do you feel you will succeed in the CSin3 program?
- Prompt 2: Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that has made a profound impact in your life. How has that helped shape you into the person you are today?
3. Participate in a group interview for admission with CSin3 staff and faculty. Students who meet eligibility requirements and have successfully completed steps 1 and 2 will be invited to attend a mandatory group interview session where they will meet with CSin3 staff and other prospective cohort-mates. During this session students will learn more about the program and have an opportunity to ask questions about the program. Students will be invited to interview in the order that completed applications are received.
Application Deadline: The application will close on May 20, 2024 or when the cohort is full, whichever comes first. Late applicants may be considered if space permits. We cannot admit students into the program once the semester has started.
Our admission capacity is 35 and our waitlist capacity is 5. We begin conducting interviews in late fall and continue through the spring. Students will be invited to interview in the order that their application is received. Interviews are held on a monthly basis until the cohort is full or the deadline is reached.
Admissions Decisions: Admissions decisions are sent to students shortly after the interview.
|September 1||CSin 3 online application opens|
|November – May||Group video interview for CSin3|
|May 20, 2024||Final date to apply to CSin3|
|May 31, 2024||Final notifications of acceptance to CSin3|
|June – August||Bridge Experience for Computer Science (BECS)|
Bridge Experience for Computer Science (BECS) - Pre College Preparation
CSin3 kicks off with a hybrid summer bridge experience aimed at building a strong cohort community, introducing you to computer science, and laying the foundation for habits and strategies that will ensure your success in the first year of college. During summer bridge, you will have the opportunity to interact with engineers and our alums at some of our industry partners, which may include Amazon, Apple, DoorDash, Google, Lyft, Quizlet, Slack, Salesforce, Uber, VMWare, etc.
More details about the BECS workshop and dates will be communicated during and after the interview.
Because of the increased time commitment and expectation that CSin3 students will go above and beyond in their academic pursuits, students accepted into CSin3 are eligible for a financial assistance (This is contingent on funding availability). As long as students maintain good standing with CSin3, the assistance is distributed based on the completion of the following:
Summer Bridge Experience (BECS): $1,000
First Year Fall Requirements: $2,000
First Year Spring Requirements: $2,000
First Year Summer Requirements: $1,000
Second Year Fall Requirements: $2,000
Second Year Spring Requirements: $2,000
Second Year Summer Requirements: $2,000
Are you interested to learn more?
- If you are not yet ready to apply, but would like to be added to our contact list, please complete this interest form. This is the best way to get you on our radar so that we can reach out with information about upcoming info sessions, application deadlines, etc.
- If you have any questions, please write to CS@csumb.edu.
- Get started on the application
- Watch the following video to hear from our alumni: